P3 Visa: Things You Need To Know

P3 Visa: Things You Need To Know

P3 Visa: Things You Need To Know

P3 Visa: Things You Need To Know 

The P3 visa is a temporary work visa for foreign artists or entertainers coming to be part of a culturally unique program in the US. It could be to perform, teach, or coach. The P-3 visa is a non-immigrant visa which permits temporary entry into the US. The USA provides a number of short-term work visas upon fulfilling some special criteria. P-3 visa is one of them. This visa may be granted to an individual or as a group. Such events can be either commercially motivated or not commercially motivated. P-3 is not an immigrant visa. The visa holder can stay in the USA for up to one year and the time can be extended up on application. 

Eligibility Criteria for P3 Visa

A person needs to meet following eligibility criteria to get P-3 visa in US:

•        The purpose of visiting the United States should be to develop, interpret, represent, coach, or teach a unique or traditional ethnic, folk, cultural, musical, theatrical, or performing event.

•        The applicant must be sponsored by an organization or agent in the United States.

•        Applicants must be in good health and have a good character.

•        A Petition for Non-Immigrant Worker, particularly the Form I-129, must be filed by the US employer or agent.

·         Every presentation and event should be culturally distinct.

Is a P-3 visa an immigrant visa?

The P-3 visa is a nonimmigrant visa that allows foreign nationals to enter the United States. A P-3 visa classification may be granted to individuals or groups of artists or entertainers who are coming to the United States to develop, to perform, to teach, or to coach as artists or entertainers, individually or as part of a group, under a culturally distinct program.

The initial period of admission for an alien described in subsection (101)(a)(15)(A)(iii) of the Act shall not exceed three years, and extensions of temporary stay may be granted for periods of not more than two years.

Can a P-3 Visa holder work in the USA? 

Important Aspects of the O, P, and R Visas Listed below are some of the benefits and drawbacks of these specialized work visas:

• You may legally work in the United States for your O, P, or R sponsor. To change jobs, however, you must apply to change your status or obtain a new visa.

• O, P, and R visas are readily available.

• P visas will be issued for the duration necessary to complete a specific event, tour, or season, with a maximum of one year. However, P-1 athletes may be admitted for a maximum of five years with one five-year extension.

• As long as your visa stamp and status are valid, you may travel in and out of the U.S. or remain continuously. 

Can a P-3 visa be extended? 

Primarily under the conditions of your cultural performance visa, you are only allowed to remain in the U.S. for the duration of the event, activity, or performance. No matter how long your activities last, your residence cannot last for longer than one calendar year.

But, yes, an extension of stay may be authorized by U.S. Citizenship and immigration services in increments of one year for P-3 status holders to continue or complete the same event or activity for which a person awarded the visa.

If a P-3 visa holder wishes to remain in the U.S. for longer than one additional year, one might need to change that nonimmigrant status. That may mean exchanging a visa for a different type. Lastly, that person may also wish to remain in the U.S. under another employer. 

One can apply to change your nonimmigrant status as long as you:

  • Were lawfully admitted to the U.S. under a nonimmigrant visa
  • Still have a valid nonimmigrant status
  • Have not violated any of the conditions of your status
  • Have not committed any crimes during the length of your stay.

Can a family member of the P-3 visa holder come to the USA? 

P-3 holders are permitted to bring their family members with them to the US. Family members who are considered eligible are:

·       Partners/Spouse

·       Unmarried children under 21

Other family members like parents, grandparents, or in-laws are not eligible for this right. Eligible members of the family must obtain a P-4 visa to travel the USA.

P-3 visa holders need to apply for the family members for the P4 visa, which is valid in addition to the P3 visa. P4 visas can apply alongside the P3 visa. If approved they will need to attend the visa interview together.